“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” –Saint Augustine

Monday, June 7, 2010

How to conquer Rome


This weekend I traveled to Rome, with my roommates and about 12 others from the trip. It was such a whirlwind weekend, that's for sure. First, we took the first train out on Friday at 6:40am. The train ride was about 4 hours, and I ended up sleeping most of the time. Once we arrived the first task was finding the hotel. Took a cab, since we had no idea which metro or bus to take. Checked into Hotel Athena, which was interesting to say the least. We booked 2 double rooms, but that was not available anymore, so we got stuck with a triple room and a single room. I volunteered for the single room, since one I snore, and two could use some alone time (it's rare to get while studying abroad.) After grabbing some lunch at a cafee near the hotel we were in search of the bus stop to the Vatican City. The only map we had of Rome was one in German or French from our amazing hotel. Ended up getting pretty lost, but eventually made it to the Vatican. Once we got to St. Peter's Square, I was in awe of its magnitude. After the tourist pictures, we got in the enormous line to the Cathedral. We got suckered into paying 15 euro for a guided tour of the cathedral which pointed out all the art, legends, and history. The tour actually ended up being very interesting, but since we got so lost, and the line was long, by the time we got out the Vatican Museum was closed. We ended up meeting up with Daniel and the rest of our crew to see all the historical hotspots in Rome, including the Pantheon, tossing a coin in the Trevi Fountain and many crowded piazzas on the narrow streets of Rome.

A very beautiful city, but even more confusing than Florence and had an interesting smell to say the least. Since it was after 8pm and my stomach was begin to crawl, Kate, Jessica, Mary Charles and I decided to go back to the mockery of a hotel and grab some dinner somewhere close by. After searching for the perfect place to eat, we 'rome-ed' the street for upwards of 45 mins, and finally agreed on the first place we looked at. After demolishing the bread and free champagne, A large Peroni was in order. I had mozzarella bites and a calzone stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, and spinach for dinner and it totally hit the spot! Since I had been up since 5am, I was over tired, and still struggling with a runny nose, it was time for bed. Despite, the look of the hotel, I had some of the best sleep I've had in Italy. But I'm sure it had to do with the air conditioning :)

Waking up refreshed, day two in Rome was even busier than the first. We woke up early for our free breakfast, which was less than impressive, but at least it was something we didn't have to pay for, plus I got my first espresso in europe and let me tell you-- they don't mess around with their coffee. It was the best part of the breakfast! Then it was off to the Coliseum. We heard that the guided tour was over-rated, so we decided to wait in the hour plus line to enter the Coliseum and just walk around. Seeing the ancient Roman ruins was by far my favorite part of Rome. Just imagining the history, bloodshed, and importance that happened underneath my very feet was overwhelming. We ended up listening to some of the tour guides, and realized we didn't miss much by skipping the tour.

Then it was back to the Vatican (our second home while in Rome) to see the Museum and the beautiful Sistine Chapel. The museum was huge, so many rooms, each containing a different theme or time period, or artist. There's no way I actually saw everything, or even could possibly comprehend it all. But the Sistine Chapel is just as amazing at you can imagine. You're not suppose to take pictures or even speak while within the chapel, but I managed to snap one, a terrible picture, but nothing can really do Michaelangelo justice within seeing it in person, 3 years well spent!

After the museum, which took about an hour or so, we met back up with our fellow Wolfpacker for a cocktail. On the way back to see some more ruins near the Coliseum, we ran into Michael Jackson, back from the dead in Piazzo de Popolo. All the piazza's in Rome, street performers gathered to showcase their skills, and this one small Italian many had MJ down to a T. We watch his performance, then decided it was time to see those ruins... yet another attraction caught our attention. This time it was in the form of Lady Gaga. Walking by the ruins a huge tent was set up, blaring Gage's finest. Of course we decided to check it out and it happened to be the semifinal match of the Euro Beach Soccer Cup! We got in for free, and watched the second half of the match-up between France and Poland. I decided to cheer for Poland, one because they were the underdogs, losing at that point and two because they were some of the hottest european's I have seen thus far during my travels! Poland ending up winning and I do believe I had something to do with it! If only I still had a press pass, Kate and I would have been down there on the sand doing some one-on-one interviews! ;)

Nevertheless, it was time for dinner. We took the metro to this wonderful restaurant. After scarfing down my fetticini with lobster in a tomato basil sauce and some excellent vino, we all decided that when in Rome, we must go out. Someone told someone that Rome's "it" bar was the Ice Club, this bar made out of ice. So off we went in search of it, a large Peroni, gelato, and an hour plus later we finally find it. Its 1am. The cover is 1 euro, and drinks are equally expensive. Therefore, calling it a bust we decided to just go to the Irish pub we passed on the long adventure to the so called Ice Club. The pub was packed! And after another super long day of sightseeing, and runny nose, my health got the better of me, and needed to call it a night. Dragging my roommates out of the bar at 2:15am was a chore, but I finally made it back. I don't think a 3am shower ever felt so good!

None of us decided to set an alarm, so I woke up to the scared maid trying to clean my room. Check out was 11am and it was at least 11:30am. Ooops! Packing, and getting ready for the day in less at 5 mins, we checked out and decided to go to Hard Rock Cafe Rome for some good old American food. Then it was time to say ciao to Rome and get back to the train station. Having about an hour to kill at the station, I decided to capitalize on some nice retail therapy :)

Rome has now been conquered by Jen Hankin.

4 comments:

  1. WOW - what a trip. Sounds like you really got to see a lot in alittle bit of time. The way you describe things - it's like being there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna need you to zoom in on the polish guys and repost :) love you! Food sounds aaaaamazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom--it was a busy weekend for sure, and dont you worry allie, ive got a few more soccer pics.. ill upload all of them to facebook soon :)

    ReplyDelete