“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” –Saint Augustine

Friday, May 28, 2010

Day One in Frieze

Today was an amazing day! I ended up passing out last night around 11pm, and waking up around 8am pretty well rested. (I could have easily slept longer, but when isn't that the case for me?) We had orientation for Lorenzo de' Medici at 9am and then had lunch around the Duomo at some small caffe. Orientation was a lot of boring info and lasted too long, but worthwhile info none the less. After the small break, we went to a class at LdM and learned all about the class rules and regulations--more boring info-- but it was all worth it went we took a sightseeing tour around the whole city. BEAUTIFUL CITY, honestly I think I'm in love with Florence. I've already decided that if I lived here I would have a Vespa-- a motorcycle cycle is too scary and a mo-ped is kinda lame and noone should have a car. The streets are terrible and the sidewalks are tiny so everyone walks in the street. Also, I don't think they have anything like pedestrians have the right of way here so it's some of chaotic, so Vespa would do me just fine ;) We decided to stop and get some gelato before the walking tour. The gelato was amazing, doesnt even compare to Henry's in Cary. I got mint and chocolate--Dad you would be proud! Gelato places are on every street and ever more so now since the gelato festival is going on till monday! They are giving out free samples, and there's history and gelato making stuff everywhere.

The walking tour was so long, very glad to have sneakers on, we touched on all the major points in the city, and figured out where everything was, learning landmarks so we can get around for the rest of the trip. I'm positive I will get lost but Alex seems to know his way around pretty well so us girls are sticking to him as our designated guide. The highlight of the day was crossing the bridge over the Arno River and hiking up the San Miniato al Monte, which is one of the highest points in the city. (No wonder I walked over 8 miles today.) On top of the San Miniato al Monte (meaning Saint Miniato on the Mountain) was The Church of San Miniato al Monte built over 2,000 years old. I'm not big on churches but this place was one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. Walking in to the church, you are suddenly silenced by the organ and a small Italian woman singing. In awe by the beauty, the holiness filling the church takes over. I'm not super religious, but after walking into San Miniato al Monte I truly felt touched by God or at least some higher power. The place is that breath-taking. The legend goes that St. Miniato was beheaded by the Emperor in Florence and then picked up his own head and crossed the Arno River and walked up the mountain to his home to die on the grounds where the church now stands. His tomb is in the church. Uh, I could go on and on about the church but I think you get the point. Beautiful, holy place-- completely worth the hike!

Afterwards, we walked back to our apartments rested and got ready for dinner with all the students taking classes at LdM this summer. We took over this cool place called the Clubhouse. Dinner was ok, preset menu. But dessert was amazing, not ever sure what it was, some pudding and bread thing. We decided to walk around the city more and saw several parades and live music in celebration of the gelato festival. Walked back to the Ponte Vecchio and saw the beautiful full moon overlooking the Arno River, what a sight! I tried to take pictures but it kind of failed. Becca, Daniel, Dan, Jeff and I decided to grab a few drinks at Bacco which was a bit pricy but we got to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful night weather and people watch. It was a lot of fun. Tomorrow we are waking up early again and spending the day in Siena.

2 comments:

  1. What a day - sounds truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear tour guide Alex,
    Please don't get my best friend lost! I need her in July!
    LOVVVEEE,
    Genna

    ReplyDelete